I remember the day he was born. 8 pounds 81/2 ounce bouncing baby boy! He was the best baby– always smiling, always content. Today he is a 23-year-old happy, content, smiling, adult young man, with a wife! On June 13th, Andrew and Katie celebrated their 1 year Anniversary! Where in the world does the time go? Today I am going to talk about “How to Pray for godly Marriages!”
From the time, he was born until the day he married I prayed for him and his future wife. I prayed, as he waited for the young lady God had picked for him, that he would grow in his relationship with the Lord. I prayed for the Lord to teach Him through His word how to be a godly husband and one who knew what it meant to be the head of his household.
I prayed for the young woman who would someday be his wife. I prayed that God would grow her into a godly wife and teach her the Biblical definition of what it means to be a submissive wife. God has answered my prayer and my son Andrew has grown and is still growing into a godly man. Katie my new daughter is a godly young lady and still growing as well.
The day of their 1-year anniversary I found myself with tears, happy tears, praising God for their past year of marriage. What a blessing to see a young married couple grow in their relationship with one another and in their relationship with the Lord. I found myself thinking about how to pray for them as they move forward into their next years of marriage. I have made a list of ways to pray for them individually as well as a couple. I have taken Scripture and turned them into prayer. These prayers do not just apply to a newly married couple they can be applied to marriages of all stages.
I wanted to share these prayers with you in the hope that they will be a help to you as you pray for
- your own marriage,
- the marriage of your sons and daughters,
- and even your grandsons and granddaughters!
PRAYER FOR HIS AND HER OWN GROWTH
In order for there to be a strong godly marriage, each one in the marriage relationship must make it a priority to grow in their own relationship with the Lord. The verses I have picked for this prayer is Colossians 1:9-12:
For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.
- Pray for knowledge of the will of God in all spiritual wisdom and understanding
- Pray that they walk in a manner worthy of the Lord.
- Pray that they please God in all that they do
- Pray for fruit bearing
- Pray for more knowledge of God
- Pray that God will strengthen them with steadfastness and patience.
PRAYER FOR GROWTH AS A COUPLE
Each person in the marriage relationship has their own God-given responsibility. But at the same time each one must strive to understand the responsibility of the other. The verses I have picked for this prayer: Colossians 3:18-19, Ephesians 5:22-23, Ephesians 5:25, Ephesians 5:28, Ephesians 5:33.
FOR THE WIFE
Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, he Himself being the Savior of the body. Ephesians 5:22-23
The wife must see to it that she respects her husband. Ephesians 5:33
Wives be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Colossians 3:18
- Pray for biblical understanding of submission
- Pray for submission to the Lord in this area of marriage
- Pray for the wife to respect the husband
- Pray for understanding of Biblical respect
- Pray for Biblical understanding of male headship
For The Husband
- Pray he understands and respects the wife’s role of subjection.
- Pray for understanding of Christ’s headship in the marriage.
- Pray for understanding of Biblical subjection.
FOR THE HUSBAND
Husbands, love your wives and do not be embittered against them. Colossians 3:19
Husbands, love your wives, just as the Christ also loved the church and gave himself up for her. Ephesians 5:25
So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. Ephesians 5:28
Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself. Ephesians 5:33
For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is also the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. Ephesians 5:23
- Pray he loves his wife and is not embittered to her
- Pray he loves his wife as Christ loved the church
- Pray he loves his wife as he loves himself
- Pray he understands and studies to know how much Christ loves the church
- Pray he takes on the God-given responsibility of being the head of the wife
For The Wife:
- Pray she seeks to understand the God-given responsibility of her husband’s role as head
- Pray she makes it easy to love her
PRAY FOR THE EQUIPPING OF A GODLY FAMILY
The father and the mother are responsible for teaching their children who the Lord is and to train then according to the Scriptures. The father has the most responsibility for this training because he has been given the responsibility from God as being the head of the household. Here are the verses I have picked for prayer: Ephesians 6:4, Deuteronomy 6: 4-7
Hear, O Israel! The LORD your God, the LORD is one! You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:4-7
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
FOR THE HUSBAND
- Pray he is diligent to study the Scripture that he will be equipped to teach them to his children
- Pray he is continually speaking truth to his children
- Pray he takes this God-given responsibility serious
For The Wife
- Pray she is making it possible for the husband to study and pray
- Pray she takes her husband’s responsibility to teach their children seriously
This list of prayer is only a small way in which we can pray for godly marriages! What are some ways you have prayed for marriages? I would love to hear them!
If this list has helped you would you please share with others. I believe prayer is the best thing we can do for our marriages.
Latest posts by Lisa Morris (see all)
- Learning to be Thankful in All Circumstances - November 24, 2016
- Why Do We Study Everything But the Bible for Bible Study? - October 20, 2016
- Why Won’t You Let Me Comfort You With Scripture? - September 22, 2016