Recently I became fascinated with all the different names Jesus has been given throughout the Bible. I should have been writing books, folding the laundry and washing my thirty-two windows, but I just could not stop digging through literature and Bible verses.
I’m so glad I let my laundry pile up, my windows become more streaked and other writing delayed. I feel richer for the postponement of my regular duties. They waited patiently!
Halfway through my personal study of His names, I realized how much I want my children to learn them as well. So I compiled twenty-eight of them into an Advent calendar with a reading schedule that complies with both the Name of the day and the Christmas story.
I haven’t been this excited about Christmas since I was a kid!
Twenty Eight Names of Jesus
- Glory of the Lord ~ “And the Glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it.” Isaiah 40:5
- I AM ~ “I tell you the truth, “ Jesus answered, before Abraham was born, I am!”
- Alpha and Omega ~ “I am the Alpha and Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is , and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
- Lamb of God ~ “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”
- Root of David ~ “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and Offspring of David…” Revelation 22:16
- Good Shepherd ~ (Jesus speaking) “I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down his life for his sheep.” John 10:11
- The Word ~ “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and mercy.” John 1:14
- Branch ~ “In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land will be the pride and glory of the survivors of Israel.” Isaiah 4:2
- Prophet ~ “About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people.” Luke 24:19
- Morning Star ~ “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.” Revelation 22:16
- Light of the World ~ “When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, “I am the Light of the World. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- Arm of the Lord ~ “Awake, awake! Clothe yourself with strength, O Arm of the Lord; awake as in the days gone by, as in generations of old.” Isaiah 51:9
- Servant ~ “See my servant will act wisely, he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.” Isaiah 52 13
- Man of Sorrows ~ “He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.” Isaiah 53:3
- The Way ~ “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.” John 14:6
- Redeemer ~ “The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,” declares the Lord.” Isaiah 59:20
- Horn of Salvation ~ “He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of David” Luke 1:69
- The gate ~ “Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep.” John 10:7
- Mediator ~ “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ.” 1 Timothy 2:5
- Cornerstone ~ “So this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed.” Isaiah 28:16
- Bread of Life ~ (Jesus speaking) “I am the bread of life.” John 6:48
- Immanuel ~ “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.” Isaiah 7:14
- Son of God ~ “So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.” Luke 1:35
- Prince of Peace ~ “And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6
- Messiah ~ “Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and rebuild Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks…” Daniel 9:25 (KJV)
- Savior ~ “today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.” Luke 2:11
- King of the Jews ~ “Where is the one who has been born the king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him.” Matthew 2:2
- Jesus ~ “She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21
Here is a free printable Names of Jesus Advent Calendar. Just right click. Save. Print. Enjoy!
You can find more ways of celebrating the name of our King in this “Names of Jesus Christmas Pack”, which includes 14 downloads the help you create an unforgettable Christmas theme this year!